Tuesday, April 14, 2020

My first solo drive to Golden Pagoda, Namsai


Golden Pagoda



So it was three years back when I was in Doomdoma, district Tinsukia in Assam, I had just learned how to drive and was planing where to go for my solo drive. 

At first I thought I would just go for a drive around the town, but as I drove through the beautiful tea estates along the road I couldn’t resist going further.

I started my drive from Doomdoma, Assam and ended up driving to Golden Pagoda, in district Namsai in Arunachal Pradesh. It is a 64 km drive which took around 2 hrs and the route is via NH 15.

Travelers can take a bus or a taxi from Tinsukia to Namsai.

Tinsukia is an industrial district of Assam. It has the oldest oil refinery in India in Digboi and is famous for open cast coal mining in areas like Margherita and Ledo.                    
It also has a cosmetic plant of Hindustan Unilever (HUL). The district produces tea, oranges, ginger, other citrus fruits and paddy (rice).

Tinsukia is well connected by road, railway and airway. The nearest airport is in Dibrugarh which is at a distance of around 40 km. The nearest railway station is the New Tinsukia railway station. The city is at a distance of around 488 km from Guwahati and 532 km from Dispur.

The road from Doomdoma to Namsai is perfect. The road is wide, clean without any potholes and has a great view of the beautiful tea gardens, paddy fields and the forest.

Way to Namsai


I had a great time driving, soaking in the mesmerizing views and listening to 90’s rock music. My first solo drive couldn’t be much better.

Paddy Fields 


On the way I had to stop at the border to fill in the details before entering Arunachal Pradesh. I had to provide my photo identity card (voter id), driving license and the car registration details and there was also a small fee to be paid. I received a receipt that I had to provide while coming back at the check post. It’s like filling the entry and exit details, they even ask for how many days you are visiting and the reason for the visit.

Namsai is the land of enchanting Pagodas and serenity, situated near the Nao Dhing River. The nearest airport is in Dibrugarh at a distance of around 123 km and the nearest railway station is the New Tinsukia Junction which is at a distance of around 79 km. There are also bus and taxi services available to Tinsukia, Guwahati, Siliguri and Itanagar.


River near Golden Pagoda
Namsai is developing into a tourist destination and the places to visit here are Namsai Monastery, Golden Pagoda, World Peace Pagoda (River Island), Lathao International Bana Meditation Centre, Empong Monastery, Phaneng Monastery, Parsuram Kund and the Glow Lake.


It is a place where one can come to wind down from one’s monotonous hectic routine. You can experience here various tribe cultures and enjoy the delicious local food.


Golden Pagoda



When I reached Golden Pagoda there was a beautiful ceremony going on. There were many local people and priests in the ceremony who conducted prayers and then had a community gathering at a large hall.





Golden Pagoda is not just a place where people come to pray but is also an architectural delight. It is a Burmese style Buddhist Temple which is located on a 20 hectare complex. The World Tripitaka Foundation is developing it as the first International Tripitaka center in India.






The Kathina is the largest festival celebrated in the temple. It is usually celebrated during October or November.



The complex houses a center for cultural research of the Tai Khamti-Singpho tribe, a library and a monastery. There is also a tourist resort providing accommodation in the form of dormitories and individual villas.                         

I spend the time in the complex exploring and appreciating the architecture and the landscape. I also had a meaningful talk with a monk who explained to me how to approach life in the right way.

Just for information purpose, I would like to inform that there might be mobile signal problem. But then if you are in such a beautiful place who needs a mobile signal. 

I left for Tinsukia in the evening fully satisfied that I made the right decision to take my first solo drive to Golden Pagoda, Namsai.           




(For travel information please visit Uttarakhand Tourism and Buddha Teachings.)


No comments:

Post a Comment